Monday, May 26, 2008

Marathon...more than words..


This past weekend I had the wonderful privilege of watching/cheering on my friend Stephen as he ran his first full marathon in Traverse City, MI. The day was perfect and I was ready to watch something amazing that day. Now for many of you who know me, I'm not the emotional one, so what is about to follow may come as a bit of a shock. I was able to watch runners from all ages, and I do mean all. There were many men and women that were running the marathon who were easily in their 60's and even 70's and could have kicked my butt without even trying! It was great to see their determination and youthfulness when they passed by the spectators. After waiting at mile 20 to watch my friend pass by and cheer him on (only 6.2 miles to go!), we moved on to the finish where something beyond words was about to take place. For anyone who has run many races (especially longer distances) you know what it is when your legs literally are cramping up and you can't seem to stand or even walk on them anymore. This happened a few times when runners were finishing their last 300yds on the track to the finish line. When this was happening, other runners who had already finished their races went over, picked them up and helped them to walk in the rest of the way.
That is moving enough, but then this one lady made the turn in on to the track and you could literally see her legs cramping up, it was awful to watch. You could tell just how painful it was, not only physically, but emotionally knowing just how close you are to finishing. Anyway, so another lady who was just behind her, who HADN'T finished yet, stops, turns back, and starts to pick her up to walk with her! No granted it's not like she was going to win the race, but still to stop your race to help someone else is a beautiful thing to watch. After a couple minutes, a few runners who had finished came over to offer support, so the other lady could finish her race. When I saw this I literally started to cry, I couldn't believe how beautiful that picture was, and that it wasn't just a picture, but that I had actually seen it take place. I'm sure this has happened in the many races that I've run, but I haven't seen it because I was running myself, and apparently in my own trance!
Anyway, I was trying my best to hold it together when my friend came around the corner, so I could cheer him one a little bit further. When he had finished and came over to where I was standing (literally about a minute after he had finished) I had told him a quick "Congrats" before I wasn't able to say much more because I was choking back tears. I hadn't expected to be so emotional because it wasn't even my race, but boy was I! That's the best I can explain the beautiful event, which in my mind doesn't really even compare to how it really happened. If you get the chance to watch a race in person, especially the end, do it, you'll be glad you did. So one more "Congrats!" for my friend!

Over and out!

Lo!

No comments: