Sunday, June 24, 2007

Half marathon re-cap!

So it's been 3 weeks now since I ran my half marathon, and I feel like I really haven't written about it yet, well other than the basic things. Anyway, so I've been thinking a lot about it and really processing the whole thing. It still boggles my mind that I ran a half marathon. Not only that I ran it but finished it in a decent time as well. I really want to run more of them, not just to compete or beat a better time, but because it gives me a goal to push towards. Not only that, but when I am running, and really focused on my training I am spiritually on track as well. These things seem to go hand in hand with me. I unfortunately haven't run really since the race. The first couple weeks my legs just couldn't take it, but this past week I was too busy and exhausted from work. I seriously need to get back to running, and get back to where I need to be in a lot of areas of my life. Eating healthy has gone out the window it seems like, although I'm sure I'm still eating better than the average American!

Anyway, so back to the race. It was one of most difficult, amazing things I have ever done! I've literally climbed mountains before, kayaked in ocean inlets, but this was something on a completely different level. I was flooded with emotions the entire day, but especially during the race. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the adrenaline pumping through me for the first mile, and then the last 200 yards, but even in the middle of the race it was an experience that was like nothing I have ever known before. I don't know if it was because it was my first half, or if I'll experience that again, but it was amazing!

Runners are a special breed that's for sure! If you're a runner, you know what I mean! If you know a runner, you probably know what I mean as well. We, runners, will strike up a conversation in the middle of a race about random things and it doesn't matter where you are in life, or what you drive, or anything. It's just a common bond that we share. As I was running I ended up talking with more than a dozen people throughout the 2 hours that I ran that day. We don't care that we might look like crap by the time we finish, or that it may cost our feet some serious pain, or that we might not be able to walk too well after a big race. We just love to run. It's what we do, it's in our blood. Someone said to me while I was training, and injured at this point, that I should stop running. I looked at them like they were crazy and then said to them, "Running is like breathing for me; if I don't do it often enough I die." They might not have understood what I meant, but it really does keep me going, which is why this race didn't seem to drain my energy so much as give me energy. It was such an amazing event for me and I can't wait to run my next one!

Over and out!

Lo!

No comments: