Monday, June 04, 2007

Fun times!

Well a lot happened the week that I was home, but I'm just going to focus on a couple. First off, Redamaks! Oh my how wonderful it was! I forgot how amazing those cheese burgers are! No worries, I demolished it in no time! It was difficult though because we rode all the way home with it in the back of the car, and anyone who knows me, knows that if I'm hungry and there is food around, it will shortly be gone! I was good though, I waited patiently until we made it home!

Me with my very much awaited cheese burger from Redamaks! YUM! I think it was gone in record time!

Second up, the main event! My first half marathon! It was the Sunburst races that start at the College Football Hall of Fame and end on the 50 yard line of the Notre Dame stadium! I ate my pasta the night before and turned in early because I was set to get up at 5:45 in the morning! I thankfully was able to get a good amount of sleep and felt well rested for the race. My morning seemed to be moving in hyper speed running around making sure that I wasn't forgetting anything and that we got there in plenty of time as well. We had two cars full of people heading down for different events and made it down town about 6:50 am. We had a few pictures taken, a prayer for safety and then final preparations. My race was to start at 7:30 so I had plenty time to stretch and get focused.
The gun went off, and shortly after the running began! My first mile was way too fast, but that's just how it goes. My first mile was at about 8:38, which isn't crazy fast, but I was planning on mid 9's, so I needed to back it off a little, which is much easier said than done. Jon and I were having a great time cheering on fellow runners as well as the spectators and police officers keeping the streets clear. We were clapping, and singing songs and making people laugh! We had a great time! Around 4 and a half miles into the run I was really starting to feel some blisters forming so I had to stop at a water stop to put some bandages on my feet to try and keep them from getting any worse. Unfortunately that didn't really seem to avert the problem! At mile 11 I was completely exhausted and didn't feel like I had anything in me left to give, but God, through Jon, wouldn't let me give up! It was awesome to get such great encouragement when you really feel like your body is about to turn into mush! We kept chugging along and eventually made it to where I could see the stadium, and then I really kicked it in. I felt like I was back in high school cross country kicking it for the finish. I finished my first half marathon in 02:03:48 which I could not be more pleased with, because I was just hoping to finish in under 02:30. It was a great day, and all who made it out had a great time! Thanks for all of the support!

This is moments before my first half marathon...completely in the zone and focused here!
Everyone after their events! It was a great day, and everyone had an awesome time! It was awesome!
Jonathan, my running buddy, and me after finishing the half marathon! I still can't believe it! 2:03:48...you could say I was happy!

Oh, and I also got my third tattoo about 3 hours after I finished the race! It's awesome...but of course I would think so! So what do you think? (13.1 is the mileage from the race.)

Over and out!

Lo!

1 comment:

Jeanna said...

I just love that I got to be a part of all of it :) I am so proud of you for not giving up when things started getting a little blistery...

You rock!

Who took those amazing pictures, by the way :)