Saturday, October 20, 2007

Race thoughts...

So here are a few thoughts that were running though my head while running the half marathon today.

  • Runners are a special breed no doubt! We as a group will cheer on fellow runners no matter how much pain we're in.
  • Some of the runners dressed up in costumes. Many times marathon runners do this to make it seem a little more fun. There were a few witches, women with tutu's, a girl wearing wings that she had attached, etc.
  • There was also this guy that carried an American flag the entire race (I think the half marathon). On his shirt it said something about the flag team. So apparently they make appearances all over the nation showing their support. It was really awesome, and seriously moving. To run with an extra 5 pounds at least, is hard enough, but to feel like you are carrying a nation, so amazing.
  • It was such a great time pacing a friend and being able to encourage her and make a fool of myself all at the same time. When she would slow down, I would turn around, run backwards, dance some times, sing, etc. I had everyone around laughing right along with me!
  • I love the fact that random spectators cheer on everyone! There was even a guy that made a HUGE "high 5" sign. He actually cut our a huge hand that you could smack as you were running by!
  • "Your feet only hurt so bad because you've been kicking so much butt!" - on a sign near the end, which made me laugh!
  • Getting up at 4:45 isn't the most exciting thing to do, but it actually wasn't as difficult as I had thought!
  • When I was running, some where around mile 9 or 10, my left knee really started to bother me. So I told my running buddy to go on ahead of me and that I would catch up after fixing up something for my knee. My plan was to take an extra bandanna that I had with me and tie it tightly just under my knee. As I started to do this, a guy stops just in front of me and tells me to just use his brace instead. I had said that I was fine, but he insisted, so I took the brace, and we said we'd see each other at the finish. Runner's are so generous!
  • I'll be running another half for sure! I really love the challenge of the distance, but it isn't so far that you really feel like you're going to hurt yourself too bad. I want to one day work it up to a full marathon, but for now, I'm loving the half!
  • After all was said and done with the KC marathon, I decided that the Sunburst is the way to go (other than the extreme heat). Why? Well the swag you get from the Sunburst is amazing...nothing here except honey sticks (yes, you read that correctly)! Well, okay and a gift certificate to Jack Stack, but still, felt a like they could have done a little better with swag.
  • The weather was amazing! It was in the low 60's the whole race, which was perfect! The course was really good too. There were plenty of hills to really challenge you if you wanted to push it, but no so many that you felt like you were running a hill work out.

All and all, it went really well, and was so proud of Janette and her 2:27 finish for her first half! Way to go!!! We'll have to run another one together! Over and out!

Lo!

No comments: