Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Down and out....

Well, I'm down and out for a while, which as you can guess I'm not happy about at all. One of my instructors looked at my ankle and told me that I have both, achilles tendinitis and bursitis in the same area! This means that both the bursa and the tendon are fighting for the little space that is in the back of my ankle, thus causing me extreme pain. So for the next couple days I will not be able to run. Today I took of completely from training and am icing my leg (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, etc.). We'll see if I can do anything tomorrow as far as training goes, but I can't push too hard because there is the potential of seriously injuring my achilles tendon. That would then mean that I could just about kiss my up coming race goodbye. So I've been icing all day, literally! I even took an ice pack to school with me so I could ice while I was there too! I bought a bunch of pineapple too, which is a natural anti-inflammatory! Hopefully this will go down soon so I can get back to training!

On a different note, I read an article in class today from MassageMag.com because I wasn't able to receive a massage (or give for that matter!). The article really hit a chord with me. It was about massage therapists who go to disaster areas and help the first responders. Massage Emergency Response Teams (MERTs) have responded to all of the major disasters in the last decade including the September 11th terrorist attacks. The first disaster that they responded to was the Oklahoma City bombings in 1995, and was then nationally recognized, and since then has 32 teams. When I was reading this article, all I could think of was, "I need to get more information on how I can do that!" Being that I was with the fire department for almost a year, I already understand how that whole system works. Plus my main reason for joining the fire department was to help people, same reason I want to be a massage therapist. So if I was able to almost combine the two, that would be awesome! Obviously I have to finish school first, but I figure that I can at least get more information on it all. Over and out!

Lo!

1 comment:

Jeanna said...

I swear you are falling apart!