Monday, September 11, 2006

5 years ago...Never Forget

9/11/01...I remember everything...

I was upstairs at my old house getting ready for classes that day.
My mom screams, "OH MY GOSH!"
So I ask what's the problem?
She tells me that a plane hit the World Trade Center.
I ran down the stairs, probably faster than I ever have done.
I stand in front of the television looking at the news feed, and watch "live" the second plane hit. I couldn't believe what I was watching. I wasn't sure what to do.
I continued about my day as best I could, very confused.
As I made my way on campus, I was told that we were to meet in the main auditorium, and that classes were cancelled for the day.
We all made our way into the "ER" and sat and continued to watch live news on a huge screen. Many people were crying, others were almost unable to find emotion.
We then broke out into small prayer groups and prayed...for the families effected by both the WTC & Pentagon tragedies, as well as the tragedy in PA.
We sat there for hours unsure of what to do next.
I met with the rest of the cross-country team hours later at the gazebo.
We sat around only to talk. No practice today. We were mostly silent not really sure what to say. I remember my mom telling me that day that she got a call from my sister in South Korea, telling my mom that if anything were to happen, where she was (at the DMZ), that her life expectancy was 11 seconds. I remember being very scared for my sister.
I remember fearing that my dad, being a firefighter, might head to NY to help his fellow brothers & sisters. But at the same time I wanted him to go, so he could help, and support the teams down there already.
I know that every firefighter felt their heart break just a little bit when they knew their fellow brothers & sisters running in as people were running out. I know that any firefighter would do the same thing that the 343 firefighters who lost their life, to save the lives of others. It's in their blood. With every heartbeat, courage, strength, honor, & duty run through their veins.
I remember my mom telling me that my uncle Steven, who lived in DC, went to the Pentagon to help out in anyway that he could. He had a beautiful soul. Only a little over 4 months he passed on.

I pray that I will never forget what happened that Tuesday morning, and how it changed the world forever. Over and out.

Lo

No comments: